Cortana is a great feature to have on your Windows computer. However, it can be quite intrusive for users who don’t use it on a daily basis.
In the previous editions of Windows 10, you could easily disable this feature. However, with the latest Anniversary Update, Windows has removed that option as well.
Still, if you really feel annoyed by it, you can quite easily disable it using a simple registry hack. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the “Run Dialog Box”.
- Enter “regedit” and press “Enter”.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search.
- If you don’t find a “Windows Search” folder inside the “Windows” folder, you can create one yourself.
- Just right click on the “Windows” folder, and select “Key” from the “New” section.
- Name it “Windows Search”.
- If you do find the folder, ignore the steps mentioned above.
- Once you do have the “Windows Search” folder in front of you, right click on it.
- Select “DWORD (32-bit) Value” from the “New” section.
- In the popup that appears, enter “Allow Cortana” as “Value Name”.
- Double click it and set the value to “0”.
- Press “Ok” to save.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.
- Cortana will now be disabled.
- To re-enable it, go back to the same place and change the value from “0” to “1”.
With these easy steps, you will be able to disable Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Have fun.