You can now use the Hey Siri voice activation command on the mac version of Siri as well, thanks to a few tweaks that can be done within minutes.
The need for following this specific route to voice activation, lies in the fact that Apple doesn’t allow you to use the Hey Siri command on mac’s by default.
Instead, you have to press a specific set of keys before Siri can start listening to what you want to say, which makes it as much of a hassle as it was on the iPhone, some time ago.
Thankfully, by playing with the Dictation Commands feature, you can make sure that you can still use the voice command, without the need to wait for a traditional update.
To use Hey Siri, follow these simple steps:
- Open the “System Preferences” app.
- Open the “Siri” section.
- Make sure Siri is enabled.
- Change the “Keyboard Shortcut” for Siri activation to something you prefer.
- Go back to the main page of the System Preferences app.
- Open the “Keyboard” section.
- Select the “Dictation” section.
- Make sure both “Dictation”, and “Use Enhanced Dictation” features are activated.
- Go back to the main page of the System Preferences app once again.
- Open the “Accessibility” section.
- Scroll down to the “Dictation” section on the left panel.
- Select the section.
- On the right side, check the “Enable The Dictation Keyword Phrase” option.
- Change the phrase from “Computer” to “Hey”.
- Click on the “Dictation Commands” button.
- In the popup, select the “Enable Advanced Commands” option.
- Click the “+” symbol to add a new command.
- For the new command, change “When I Say” to “Siri”.
- Under the “When Using” drop down menu, select “Any Application”.
- Under the “Perform” drop down menu, select “Press Keyboard Shortcut”.
- Input the same “Keyboard Shortcut” that you selected while changing Siri’s activation keyboard shortcut.
- Click on “Done”.
- Now whenever you say “Hey Siri”, the dictation command will execute the keyboard shortcut for activating Siri.
With these steps, you will be able to use the famous Hey Siri voice command to activate Siri in MacOS Sierra. Have fun.