How To Use USB Key To Unlock Bitlocker Encryption
[Simple Steps To Set USB As Security Key]
Bitlocker Encryption is a very powerful tool for keeping the data on your Windows drive secure. The level of encryption is upto you to decide.
For regular people, password protection is enough safety. But for power users, Bitlocker also provides you the option for USB based two factor authentication.
To enable this feature, follow these simple steps:
- Enable Bitlocker Encryption.
- Press “Windows + R” to open Run Dialog Box.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter open Group Policy window.
- In this windows, navigate to “Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>BitLocker Drive
- Encryption>Operating System Drives”.
- In the right side panel, double click on the “Require Additional Authentication at startup” option.
- In the popup box, select “Enabled”.
- In the same box, under the “Configure TPM Startup Key” option, select the “Require Startup Key With TPM” option from
- the drop down menu.
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
- Insert the USB Drive you want to use as an encryption key.
- Open Command Prompt As Administrator.
- Enter the following command – manage-bde -protectors -add c: -TPMAndStartupKey x:
- Replace “c:” with the letter of the drive you have encrypted.
- Replace “x:” with the letter of the USB you want to use as a key.
- Press “Enter”.
- Restart your computer.
- The system will ask you to insert the USB Key to decrypt the data.
With these easy steps, you will be able to enable and setup USB based two factor authentication in Bitlocker. Stay Safe.
Share if you Like
Posted on : 26 Jul 2016 @ 19:04